Well, it’s that time again… Time to get bombarded with everyone’s top whatever lists. And since you’re already getting bombarded with them, why not have one more, eh?
First off, here’s the thing… I cheat. Some of these books are not from 2012, but that’s when I read them, so there.😉
- My favorite book of the year was probably Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One. 80’s stuff, D&D, Atari games…It’s basically Willy Wonka meets The Matrix, and I mean that in the best possible way.
- Jeff Strand’s Lost Homicidal Maniac (Answers to “Shirley”), the latest in his Andrew Mayhem series. If you haven’t read these, ignore the rest of this list and go buy them all right now. Most horror comedy is hokey; not so with Strand. Mayhem’s adventures will have you giggling and cringing (frequently simultaneously). Check ‘em out. Seriously.
- The Nerdist Way by Chris Hardwick is a good pairing with Ready Player One, actually. Are you a nerd? I am. Wanna learn how to channel that nerdery into something positive and productive? Booya. Buy this book. Simple as that.
- Where Darkness Dwells by Glen Krisch. I’m not going to say too much about this one… It’s more fun if you just go into it blind. A Great Depression horror story that reads like a cross between Ray Bradbury and Clive Barker… Give it a try, you won’t be sorry.
- Carole Lanham’s collection, The Whisper Jar. I’m extremely partial to the story, The Good Part, which may give you a case of the jibblies for the rest of your life.
So those are the tippy top ones. I read lots of other good stuff, too, like King’s 11/22/63 and Brian K. Vaughan’s Y the Last Man. I also finally gave in to peer pressure and started on the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (and they’re great fun, btw).
If you like this sort of stuff, add me on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1125254.Charles_Colyott
What were some of your favorites this year?